Monday, January 14, 2008

What Attitude !!

Last year in IIT-D, I saw a student wear a t-shirt which read "I'm what you aspire to be". What attitude I said to a friend. Why would one want to wear such a logo and move in the streets? what is he thinking? what does he want others to think?
They say knowledge brings humility. Is it true? Why don't I see that humility in students here? Are they not getting knowledge or the saying is false? A student fears bad grades here more than anything else. It seems if given a choice between C grade and death, they would choose death. You ask the reason of fear, and in most cases the answer will be "what will people think. What will I think of myself".
My perception about myself depends on what others think about me. So is the case with others. So it seems everyone here, is in the process of feeling good about oneself by trying to impress others. And in an institute like this, nothing is more impressive than grades. You get good grades, people will love you and so you feel good about yourself. You feel confident about yourself. In the next semester you fail an exam and your world comes crashing down. The professor forgets your name, the friends get busy and your life stops. Everything stops. Even eating food seems a waste of time.
I was talking about this to a friend and she seemed to agree, though reluctantly. The most popular professor here has students who are feared by the campus. People love the prof for his humility, and fear his students for their attitude. And it seems both the prof and his students enjoy the situation.

I'm still an outsider here, watching things from a distance. And I already feel uncomfortable. And the JV tag is attached to my name here. He is Harsh Satya JV wala. Thats how people introduce me here.

6 comments:

Turbo said...

Things like "everyone loves the topper" only happens in schools, and only in lower classes.

Anirudh said...

JV-wala. Reference to this has come for the first time. Please enlighten me.

Unknown said...

is it true dat "GRADES" r d only parameters to judge a person on ANY ground of life??
no i dont think so...
4m my own personal experiences i can aver dat in any stream,whether it is fight 4 job or any competitive stuff its not d topper, one who wins d race...
things r much more complex n practical than dey seem to be....
"every child is special"..
isn't it??
hop to listen soon 4m u....

Dev said...

"People love the prof for his humility, and fear his students for their attitude."
I think this line is more specific. I don't know what to say, you must be knowing it well.

Harsh Satya said...

i was intending it to be specific. i was trying to invoke some kind of response. i think i managed that, but in the process might have also caused hurt. i regret that....i take it as a reminder to improve my writing skills.

Unknown said...

i totally agree with u dude.....
i dont understand y ppl go on boostin abt thmselves.....bt i agree ki grades r the criterion to judge a person....cos intellectual ppl dont gt gud grades